Cumberland Caverns McMinnville, TN
Our youth group went to Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville, TN for a caving adventure and we got one. This is an amazing place! We did the Higgenbotham’s Revenge tour that takes about 4 hours to complete. You begin by taking a 1.5 mile walk to the entrance and then right from the start we began crawling, climbing, sliding, walking, and more. This is a great trip for a youth group. We had 13 go and it was awesome. I was proud of our students as they kept moving and doing things they were scared of. We even had one of our girls twist her knee pretty bad but she soldiered on for another 45 minutes of difficult terrain.
Couple of things to know if you decide to go here for the adventure tours:
- It is physical. Most of your students will make it fine but if someone has knee or other joint issues it could be difficult.
- There are tight spaces. If you wear over a 52 jacket for a suit you may not make it. I am 6’2 230 and made it fine but it was tight in spots.
- You will get very dirty. The cave floor is red clay and it will not come out of your clothes. Soft on your knees bad on our clothes. We were crazy dirty afterwards. Bring pants, shirts, socks, and shoes to change into.
- You will have fun! We loved this. My students kept talking about going back.
- You may not be able to walk the next day. I am out of shape. How do I know, because my body was sore that night after all the twisting and contorting. But I would do it again.